Monday, May 23, 2011

Day 5-Saturday, May 22nd-fever and visitors

We're awake already, and have been since 4:00. I can't quite understand why they think they have to send the phlebotomist(I think that's the people that come to do blood work) in at 4:00 in the morning when we're both sleeping. I think Abby feels the same way since as the poor nurse was leaving she said, "I really hate that nurse, all she ever does is poke me!!" I love how Ab said it just loud enough for her to hear. The nurse had a hard time doing her job today, she said that Abby wouldn't give any blood today, she was clotting too much. She was worried and started babbling about INR levels, but I have no clue what she was talking about. I'm kind of glad all the doctors will be coming by again this morning, we can figure out what's up with her blood and her fevers she keeps getting. Last night around 9:00 her temperature went up again, it was 102 degrees. I'm getting good and converting celcius to farenheit! They gave her antibiotics and Tylenol again, but we've got to discover why this is happening.
Abby and I had a pretty good night. It was just the 2 of us, everyone else left before 8:00 last night. I was worried about being able to take care of her all night, but it was okay, and I even got my 3 hours of sleep! This morning we've been doing mad libs together and laughing, we'll fill that mad lib book up very fast, because it's funny. We also had some time to just sit and talk together. We talked about everything that happened and then a little about what's going to happen. She knows what's going on and what happened, but she doesn't remember it, and I'm glad about that. I love how Abby takes it though, it's just like, "yep, that happened, it stinks, but oh well, now let's deal with it and move on." She hasn't complained once....about anything. What a trooper, I need to follow her example with this and toughen up a little bit, but it's hard. I hope she can hold on to this attitude forever, even if we'll be waiting a long time for her new heart. One kind of hard thing is every time she wakes up, she asks if she has her new heart yet. I hope so much that we don't have to wait very long, it would make everything so much easier! She said a really funny thing this morning. I told her she should do some Sudoku puzzles to get her brain working since she doesn't have to go to school today. Her response, "Please Mom, I think I have a dang good excuse!" hahahaha, what a crack up!
Yesterday was quiet as far as doctors coming by, they all must take the weekend off. We still had the nurses come in and check her stats, and a couple of doctors came by, but it was mostly people just telling us all of the doctors who would be here tomorrow. We did have a lot of visitors today which was really nice, we love visitors. I just can't understand why they always end up coming all at once. I'm going to try to start taking a picture of everyone that stops by, I just realized that Britt had her camera here.
Here's her list of visitors for today:
Jon, Brynn, Mina (uncle and cousins)
Jeff, Zach, Josh, Jacob, Seth (uncle and cousins)
Steve, Shea and Amber (cousins)
Desi Roden (amazing, life-saving vice principal)
Diane and Devon (my aunt and her husband)
DeAnn Kennedy (taught 6th grade with me, knew Abby in kindergarten!)
Wendee, Jared, and their 4 kids (My cousin and her family)
Jason Barber (another of my cousins)
Robb, Melissa, and their 3 boys (another of my cousins and their wonderful family)
Britt, Brock, gma, and gpa-of course!!!
I think this is everyone! If I missed you it's not intentional, my brain just isn't functioning like it's supposed to. Thank you to our visitors for the fun things you're bringing for Abby, I'm afraid that eventually, she's going to start getting bored and we'll be able to pull all of those things out for her to do. Thank you for the snacks and food, it will be eaten and it's nice for Britt and Brock to be able to grab a snack without having to buy it in the cafeteria. Thank you for the money, this is kind of hard for me to accept, but we're going to need it :( Thank you for being here and just for talking to us and trying to understand, everyone that I talk to brings a different perspective on this situation, and it seems like everyone always says just what I need to hear. It's just so comforting to know we have support everywhere!
I'm so touched and amazed when I hear everything that's happening back home. When I heard the kids at school dedicated their concert to Abby, it just made me cry. I can't believe all of the fundraising that's going on and I thank all of you that are helping to organize. I feel a little helpless being up here when there's so much to do in St. George too. One of my cousins even asked if they could do a run for Abby here in Salt Lake too! It's embarassing to be in a situation where you need to accept help and money, but I know that this is beyond just me, and I'm going to have take any help we can get. Thank you for all that is being done.
Thanks to Lesley Sparks for making the blog look so cute, we need someone to take over in the cutesy department.....once again "Team Doman" coming to my resuce!
Back to the events of the day.......Abby slept for about 4 hours straight today, right when most of her visitors were showing up, maybe it's her coping strategy! She asked to call Ali Thacker this morning on the phone too. It was quite touching when Abby through tears said, "Thank you for saving my life." She likes to talk on the phone to people but gets a little weepy sometimes, I know how she feels, I do exactly the same thing. We went outside for a little while and played the piano again too. The nurses and doctors all love her and are amazed by her tough and spunky attitude. They're hear to take Abby downstairs for another chest xray, so I'm going to go, it's going to be a busy day, but I'll take lots of notes and try not to be overwhelmed. Keep praying for the heart to get hear!!!

3 comments:

  1. I do know the difference between hear and here.....remember I'm functioning on not enough sleep!!!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, from me and Cameron. I need to leave a msg. because I feel like a "stalker" ha ha We have been following Abby's journey along with everyone else!! I have to say, I LOVE how real you are, and how amazing this whole ordeal has been. This could happen to anyone of us at anytime, and I draw so much stregnth from your feelings and experiences, that you have shared here on this blog. Life just has a way of jolting us sometimes!!! I guess its a good thing that we're not alone on this journey. We think about you constantly, and pray for Abby to get stronger and healthier soon and for you to have the stregnth you need to carry on. Motherhood is a great BIG calling. You seem to have it figured out. Your sweet thoughts about your kids are very touching. Hang in there, we are sending love and possitive energies your way!!!! Cam said to tell Abby hi!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are amazing. We will continue to pray for you.

    PS-Someone (Wayne, Doug, Andy, or Tia) from my football team (The Dixie Rebels) should be contacting you guys soon about a special game they're trying to organize for you and Abby. I just wanted to give you a heads-up.

    ReplyDelete