Monday, August 15, 2011

Dash for Donation, 1st day of school...I wish, and channel 5 interview

We are now one step closer to going home for the weekend!!!  Abby's echo and clinic appointment today was right on target, everything is looking good.  Channel 5 showed up at the clinic today to do a story on Abby and the other 4 transplant kids, it will be showing tonight at 10:00.  One thing I found out today was that Abby was almost the first of the 4 of them to show up at PCMC, she's the only one that arrested first, but she was the last of the 4 to get her heart.  I just keep thinking how freaked out I would have been if I would have known there were 3 other kids, Abby's same height and weight, waiting for a heart that had to get their hearts first!  I would have been a mess.  As parents, we just kept saying how lucky we are that all of our kids got their hearts in time and are doing well now. I think it should be a good story, it's also supposed to be in the Deseret News sometime this week.  I will post a link when I have one.  Abby asked again today when she can run.  They told her next week, but they want to hook her up to an ekg and have her run on a treadmill in the clinic so they can test her a new heart first before she runs on her own.  I was glad to hear this.  I have to admit, I was feeling a little anxiety for when Abby ran for the first time again, I'm relieved it will be in the clinic with a doctor nearby.  I think I'll probably still be real nervous, but hopefully I'll relax as time goes on.  One more perfect clinic on Thursday and we'll be on our way to St. George for the weekend!!!

The  Dash for Donation on Saturday was fun.  It was so great to see all of the Team Doman shirts on so many people there.  Thanks to Whit, who was the team captain, and everyone else who showed up!  I think we had the biggest team there!  Even Abby's transplant team was there sporting Team Doman shirts, thanks Emilee and Michelle and Dr. Molina and everyone else!  What a great cause, without organ donation, Abby wouldn't be where she is today.  It made me think of our donor family again, I hope they are hanging in there through all of this, they are probably still struggling so much while we are doing so well.....it almost makes me feel a little guilty, just not an easy thing to think about.  I wish there was more I could do for them.

Today was the first day of school, it was also the first day of school that I have missed in so many years that I can't even remember how many.  It was sad, I really missed being there.  I love the first day of school.  I love seeing all the kids coming into my class scared and nervous, and leave laughing and feeling good about math and school.  Abby was sad today too.  We both just kept waiting for people to call and tell us all about it......we wanted to be there so bad!!!  We just have to keep remembering that we could still be sitting here waiting for a heart.  At least we know we are getting close to getting home!

If there is anyone in Salt Lake that still wants Team Doman shirts, please let me know before Thursday because that is when I'm taking them back to St. George.  Just call me and find a time to stop by.  If you're in St. George you can still buy them at Fargos or at Sunrise Ridge Intermediate School.  Also, Abby will be doing another news clip for channel 2, it's a promotion for organ donation, and it will be airing on Thursday, I'll let you know more when I hear. 

Now that school has started, Brock and Britt are in St. George all the time, it really stinks.  We miss them so much.  We just have to keep remembering that we are getting closer and closer to being a family again .  I hated not being there for their first day of school today, even if they are in high school, I still should have been there, I even miss being able to sign all of their disclosure statements....crazy huh?   I was reading back through the blog and came across the post where I wrote that if this had to happen to someone, it's a good thing it happenend to us because I know that we are strong enough to deal with it.  It was good for me to see that, because I've started doubting if we are strong enough, it seems like it's just beating us down; But we can do this, we can make it, we just have to continue to hang in there and start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. 

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea you all are so new to this heart gig. It makes me place you on an even HIGHER pedestal then before! Your beautiful family is an inspiration to me. Although our kids have a different diagnosis, WE are still "Heart Moms" I too pray you can go home for the weekend. I want a T-shirt, shoot me an email angeequ@hotmail.com
    Loves!

    ReplyDelete